Forum > Users >
You can allow users to sign up and log in to your forum using their Facebook account. This is beneficial because you can use your Facebook app to tap into Facebook's huge viral reach, it increases sign ups by 35 to 50% because users know it will be easy to sign up or log in, users will eventually be able to post a status update on Facebook when they post a new topic or reply, it automatically imports their Facebook profile picture, and it automatically logs the user into your forum when they are already logged into Facebook.
Your users will see a Log in with Facebook button on the Log in and Sign Up screens that will allow them to log in or sign up for your forum through Facebook. An account and profile will still be created for them on the forum and they will appear as a normal user. If they already have a forum account, they will be able to connect their existing forum account to their Facebook account.
Facebook Connect can safely be used on private forums since nothing is shared outside of the forum.
You can enable Facebook Connect on your forum by following the instructions below:
- Visit the Facebook Developers section. (Note: You must be logged into your personal Facebook account to create an app. Facebook does not allow business accounts to create apps.)
- Click My Apps button toward the top of the page and select Create App. (If you don't see this, please make sure you are viewing the Facebook Developers section and not the normal Facebook.com.)
- Enter the Display Name and click the Create App ID.
- Complete the Security Check and click Submit
- Click the Settings link towards the left side panel.
- Click the Basic link.
- For App Domains, enter your forum domain name without www and https://. For example: username.discussion.community
- Select the category as Community & Government.
- Scroll the page down and click the +Add Platform link and click Website on the pop up.
- For Site URL, enter your forum address beginning with https://. For example: https://username.discussion.community
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Click the On/Off button on the top of the page.
- Click the Switch Mode link.
- Copy the App ID mentioned at the top of the page.
- Log in to your Website Toolbox account.
- Click the Settings link.
- In the Settings menu, click the Single Sign On link.
- Check the Facebook connect option.
- In the App ID text box, paste the App ID you copied previously.
- Click the Save button.
If you still need help, please contact us.